Sunday, October 28, 2012

FACTS OR VITRIOL?

Someone I know and like, dislikes my writing vitriolic, bitter stuff  during this divisive political climate. I guess stating facts like The Salt Lake City Tribune endorsed Obama, and Republican Senator Larry Pressler endorsed Obama, and Republican Colin Small got arrested and fired from his position as a Registrar of Voters supervisor because he tossed Democratic registration ballots in the garbage, and, the New York Republican Board of Elections changed polling places without telling people where their new polling place was located during the primaries, are considered vitriol by my friend.

There is more, much more of that type of activity and lies and dishonesty like I’ve never seen before. So, if I question and report dishonesty, I’m vitriolic and bitter?

It kind of reminds me of the “kill the messenger mentality. If you don’t like the message, kill (or blame) the messenger.

I think my friend loves his country,  and his ideology doesn’t square with what his party is doing.

I love my country too, but silence in the face of oppression and dishonesty has never been an option for me. I actually believe that a healthy democracy is better when two sides can discuss their opposing views and come to understand where they each may find some common ground, and work out solutions from there.
If honesty is lacking, then debate and exchange of ideas is quite impossible.

So, let’s see:
Last week, the Republican-run Ottawa County Board of Elections sent a mailer to 2,300 voters in three northwestern Ohio precincts informing them that Election Day was November 8. It is, of course, November 6.
Further, voters were told in the mailer their voting location had been moved to a building on the east side of Danbury High School. Unfortunately, the actual voting location is on the west side of the high school

The above abuse of power is a fact, and I can tell you I think it is shameful and ugly no matter who perpetrated such obfuscation on Ohio voters. I don’t think reporting shameful and ugly facts is vitriolic. I haven’t asked, but I think my Republican friends would agree with me.  This is America. I believe the very words This Is America stand for something special.

And, I believe Obama is more concerned with social justice than Romney. His views are more in line with my own. And, I don’t see how that is vitriolic.

Let us look at some facts:
Romney,  who brags about his job creation efforts as Governor of Massachusetts, was unremarkable,  according to the Washington Post. You can read these facts for yourself at:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/as-massachusetts-governor-romneys-record-on-jobs-was-unremarkable/2012

And, Obama’s accomplishments in the year 2009 alone, are quite remarkable. This is not even half the list. But, they are facts:
In the first months of his presidency, he initiated the The American Recovery and Reinvestment act.
He bailed out the auto industry.
He stopped the war in Iraq, and is now brought Iran to its knees.
He prohibited members of congress from profiting from insider trading.
He reduced Social Security payroll taxes.
Reduced wait time for business patent approvals.
Defense of Marriage act.
Equal pay for women.
Reduced nuclear war heads and missiles with Russia until 2017.
Exempted small family farms from Federal regulation to sell products on their land.
For our safety, large factory farms are required to register every handler of their food products.
He Improved food safety programs.
Gay and Lesbians can serve openly in the military.
He granted 40 billion in tax credits for college students and low income families with children.
Extended unemployment benefits, twice.
Provided for on the job training for vets and reimbursed the energy sector jobs for that training.
Gave 68 Billion in Pell grants.
Saved an estimated 143 Billion in health care costs in health care reforms.
Strengthened hate crime laws.
He voluntarily disclosed the White House Visitors log, something past presidents refused to do.
He provided 80 million to investigate and prosecute fraud in financial institutions.

There is much, much more to add to this list for 2009. I must make mention though of a recent goal nearly accomplished.
October 23, 2012
“The Energy Department forecasts that U.S. production of crude and other liquid hydrocarbons, which includes biofuels, will average 11.4 million barrels per day next year. That would be a record for the U.S. and just below Saudi Arabia’s output of 11.6 million barrels. Citibank forecasts  U.S. production could reach 13 million to 15 million barrels per day by 2020, helping to make North America “the new Middle East.”
This report comes from USA Today, Oct. 23rd issue.
I rest my case.

No comments: